Why Are Group Dog Walks So Important for Your Dog?
Believe it or not, most of our clients walk their dogs daily and some of them walk them up to 3 times a day. So why would they hire our certified dog walkers to take their dog on an off-leash or an on-leash walk?
Our clients understand the value and benefits that a dog pack can have on their dog. Dogs are very social animals and they model their behaviour from behaviours that they learn from other dogs. Scientists refers a dog’s natural inclination to want to be with other dogs, to follow their lead, and to do the same things that they do as “allelomimetic behaviours”. Puppies, and dogs in general, will naturally show tendencies to imitate the behaviours of other dogs from a young age throughout their lives. Many important dog behaviours are learned because of participating in organized social behaviours.
Basically, other dogs can help your dog adopt and retain great behaviours. By participating in our group dog walks our clients know and understand that their dog gets more than socialization, they get taught how to behave by other dogs.
We carefully place each dog with a small dog group based on their size, temperament, and maturity. Yes, the dogs are having fun, socializing, and getting exercise on their group walks but they are also getting regularly educated by the other dogs on which dog behaviors are appropriate and which behaviours are not.
“At our Meet & Greet, we were excited to learn that they offered dog walking services. Kona had never been off leash before so she started going out on a group walk once a week & the confidence & independence that she gained was the absolute best thing for her (& me!). She loves Dan & her “friends” so much that a year ago we started sending her out with the group twice a week. We honestly can’t say enough about our experiences with The Leash Team.” L.D.
More reasons why our clients choose to sign their pooches up for our group walks...
- Exercise ensures good physical and mental health. Just like their human counterparts, pets need regular and consistent exercise to live long, healthy, and happy lives.
- Walks provide socialization and stimulation. Walking not only gets your dog the exercise he or she needs, but it also stimulates his or her senses. Your dog gets to see, smell, feel, and hear all types of new and interesting things when out for a walk.
- Walks improve pet behavior. Simply put, a tired dog is a good dog. Regular walking helps to release excess energy in your pup, resulting in calmer behavior at home.
- Dog walkers give you peace of mind. Hiring a dog walker gives you the peace of mind that your dog is well taken care of, especially when you are not at home.
- A dog walker saves you time. We all live busy lives and every minute counts. Sometimes, consistent lengthy walks are difficult to fit into our schedules.
- Continued socialization with other dogs, is necessary, to reinforce their learning about the language of dogs – how to play, how to listen to reprimands, how to interpret another dog’s mood, etc. Dog language can be thought of in the same way as human language. If you were to go through life not having anyone around you to speak your language, you wouldn't be able to speak or understand it.
ASK US ABOUT OUR SMALL DOG AND BIG DOG WALKS - Contact Us To Find Out More
Edmonton Areas We Offer Our Dog Walking Services To:
West Edmonton South Edmonton South Central Edmonton
North West Edmonton South West Edmonton Millwoods
Central Edmonton South East Edmonton North East Edmonton
We pick up and drop off your furbaby.
Dog Walking Rates
Group Dog Walks - at an off-leash park. The Leash Team and or Owner’s choice of on or off leash.
- 1-2 walks a week standing booking … $36.50 per 1-hour walk
- 3-4 walks a week standing booking ... $34.50 per 1-hour walk
- 5 walks a week standing booking ... $32.50 per 1-hour walk
- Statutory Holiday…add $5.00 to your regular rate per 1-hour walk
- More than 1 dog… $19.50 per 1-hour walk for each additional dog.
- **One-time walks…$38.50 per 1-hour walk
- Adventures - priced per Adventure.
- GPS All dogs will wear a GPS on every walk at a cost of $3.50 per month.
- Canceling a walk before 6 pm the day before a walk will not be charged, after 6 pm there will be a $15 charge
- All rate discounts require a 6-month contract
All dogs are not best suited for group dog walks, we will do a 30-day evaluation of all new dogs to ensure that the group walks are best for them and that they will be good with the rest of the dogs already under our care. Some dogs are better suited to individual or on-leash walks. Our number one concern is the health, happiness, and safety of all the dogs in our care...both new and existing clients.
“Winter is Coming”…we will be looking at some challenges with the weather. I will follow some basic guidelines mixed in with, (we hope) some common sense. The criteria for walks will be as follows:
-10◦ C plus - Full 1-hour walks.
-10◦ C to -15◦ C - Walks will be shortened to 45-50 Minutes
-15◦ C to -20◦ C - Walks will be shortened to 35-45 Minutes
-20◦ C to - 25◦ C - Walks will be shortened to 25-35 Minutes. Dogs with difficulty dealing with colds may be canceled at either The Leash Team's discretion or the Owner's request.
-25◦ C or less - Walks may be canceled.
Walks may be Cancelled if road and walking conditions are unsafe.
Here is where common sense comes into play, there are other factors like wind, snow, rain, and sun that have an impact on the time the dogs will spend outdoors…For example, a sunny -14 day with no wind can be very pleasant for the dogs whereas a -8 with a 40 km wind can be extremely unpleasant. The weather is not a factor for us as we can dress for any conditions…the only important factor in the decision-making will be the safety and comfort of the dogs which will always be our number one concern.
We use Tracktive GPS on all Dogs at a cost of $3.50 per month.
New Dog Walking Clients: Getting Started
- Contact us through our Contact Page. You can phone us, email us, or send us a message through our contact form.
- We'll set up an initial FREE CONSULTATION, via Phone or Zoom during COVID-19.
- After our initial meeting, you can then book your dog walks through our dog walking app. It's super easy and quick. Have a look, and book your dog walk.
All dogs must be vaccinated and neutered or spayed upon reaching maturity.
Dog Training in Edmonton and Surrounding Areas
If you're looking to create a more obedient, self-assured, happy, and well-behaved dog, or if you're simply having a few training issues that you can't solve we can help you with that. Check out our best dog training methods, dog training packages, and dog trainers.
We are Licenced Bonded and Insured - Certified in Behavior Modification and Training, Member of The Canadian Dog Walkers Association, Member of Pet Sitters International, and Certified by PetPro in Pet First Aid and CPR..